Wednesday, September 3, 2008

WHO SAID:

"THE ONLY THING WE HAVE TO FEAR IS FEAR ITSELF."

Who said it, when, what was the subject, and what was the occasion.

Answer as many of the above as possible. Points for partial answers.

You know the rules: No peeking!

All very good guesses. It shows you have a good grasp of history to have gotten so close. Aaron got the most right. Most people would guess it was a speech given during or just before war. However, FDR had inherited a country in deep depression. People were down and out and the usual optimistic nation was suffering from a lack of confidence. FDR's first inaugural speech was designed to get the country up and moving again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im probably way off but Im thinking it was winston churchill talking to the Londoners in regards to getting bombed by Germany.

FDR also crossed my mind as well as JFK. But Im sticking with churchill.

us said...

I'm with J. It's probably said sometime during or before a war. So, my guess is Churchill or FDR. I don't think it's JFK-- I seem to remember that is was said before his time.

After playing Dad's game make sure you come on over to our place and take a crack at the grammar quiz. Don't worry, no shame.

LRC said...

Thoughtful answers. I'll withhold comment until any others join in. Do go over and take the Grammar quiz at Ben & Ada's. It is great fun even though I am afraid I flunked the test.

Anonymous said...

FDR, i beleive at his first inaugural address